Tuesday, June 9, 2009

SUSAN G. KOMEN: RACE FOR THE CURE!!

May 9, 2009

Yes I know I'm a little slow getting these posts out- but better late than never!

So my friend Melissa and I trained and ran the Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure. It was a 5K, which is just right for me :) It was so, so, so much fun! There were 13,000 participants, and when the starting gun went off it was so crowded that we seriously couldn't even start to run till like 1/4 mile into the race! Not only that, but almost half way through it- this guy in front of me dropped to the ground and had a seizure! (yeah he was like 19-20 years old too!) My nurse instincts made me stop and help, along with an ER doctor that was running the race and some other people. Eventually there was so many people to help, they really didn't need me so I just kept on running :) I didn't want to mess up my time too bad! So much for setting a record, maybe next time! The breast cancer awareness and theme was so overwhelming- everyone who was a breast cancer fighter/survivor got a pink t-shirt, and a medal when they crossed the finish line. There were lots of people who had made shirts that said "In memory of..." or "In celebration of..." and there were WAY more pink shirts than I would have ever imagined! You just never know who is struggling with something like that, but when they stand out and you all are able to fight together to find a cure, you just feel... united.

They did group Jazzercise to warm everyone up before the race, it was HILARIOUS!! But so much fun at the same time!


The HUGE crowd at the starting line- see what I mean about the not being able to run part? Those people go on forever!
Melissa and I after we crossed the finish line! She was running to support her mother who has breast cancer, and she made a shirt with her mom's picture and it says "I love you mom!" on it! She rocks.

No comments: